Thursday, March 19, 2015

Noir at the Bar - Milwaukee - The Bachelor Party Variation

Last night was the second Noir at the Bar - Milwaukee and this time it was The Bachelor Party Variation in honor of the quickly approaching marriage of Bryan VanMeter. Jon Jordan of Crimespree Magazine hosted and put the event together which was held at the Great Lakes Distillery.

Up first was the soon to be married man himself, Bryan VanMeter. As I understand it, last night was his first public reading, but you would never have known it. I had the next slot and I read my story from the Beat to a Pulp: Hardboiled anthology. Jake Hinkson then read from his recently published short story collection The Deepening Shade. Frank Wheeler, Jr. then read portions from his novels The Wowzer and The Good Life. Dan O'Shea was the evening's closer, and he read from his short story collection Old School. I can't say enough good things about any of these writers, and you should really make it a point to read their work. It's good stuff, and you won't be disappointed.

Sarah and I drove up to Milwaukee yesterday afternoon and got to spend some time with Tim and Carrie Hennessy along with Jake before the event. Chris La Tray happened to be in the vicinity and he made it to the event, which was great, especially since the last time I had a chance to hang with Chris I came down with some variation of the plague and wasn't able to make it off the couch.

It was a great time, Sarah and I both really enjoyed ourselves, and hope to see everyone again soon.

The above shot was taken by Sarah as we left for Milwaukee.



No comments:

Post a Comment